Monday, June 2, 2008

The Mexican Adventure & Tropical Storm Arthur

Catelina and I decided Saturday night that we weren't going to go to bed before we left for our little trip... so we stayed up :) I woke up at about 6:30 Saturday morning, and figured I would sleep some on the bus on the way. Alas, I did not. I did not sleep until got home at about 9:30 last night. Between Catz, Blanca, Brian and I... everything was funny.

Besides the continuation of rain, it was a fun trip. As we got to the border, Brian and Herman decided it would be fun if I got a new pair of shiny silver bracelets and kept telling me that I wasn't going to make it through, especially since I had to go through so many check points. But then they also said they would come bail me out. I got many strange looks as I traveled with 50 Belizeans :)

Because it was still raining, we didn't go to the beach in Bachalor, just to the market for about an hour, then the mall for the next several hours. Everything in Mexico is much cheaper than here in Belize, so everyone was stalking up on just about everything that they could get across the border. I spent most of the day with Ms. Barbra, Pastor Tate's wife, and Brian. I thought it was kinda funny that I was the translator for them in the market, the restaurant, the taxi, and shopping.

Back in the US, I never think to much about driving in a steady rain at night. But here, those are the worst driving conditions you can imagine. The roads are not in the greatest conditions, and when they get wet they are super slippery. Add to that 3 1/2 days worth of rain. You get a LOT of water. Every few miles there would be water running across the road. By this morning, much of Belize had major flood damage. Luckily, where I live has not had the flooding like most of the rest of Belize. Here's a link to a news channel here to see some pictures: http://www.lovetv.com.bz/news.htm

Because of all the flooding, there has been a nationwide school cancellation until further notice. School was dismissed at 9am today, and all of the teachers stayed and wrote our final exams, so I didn't get home too early, but earlier than normal.

I believe that is all for now!!

No comments: