Friday, June 20, 2008

The Past Week

Greetings!!! This past week has flown by, actually, the past 5 weeks have flown by!!! This was the last week of school at Western Christian Academy. A team from Tennessee came and lead everything, so we teachers didn't have much to do. :)

The children's home supervisor, Miss Kristy, left for vacation last Saturday and is coming back on Sunday, thus leaving me and Miss Mary, the cook, in charge of the children. I've been sleeping in the girl's dorm playing mom. It's been a lot of fun actually :)

I also have a prayer request. Yesterday, Miss Mary, some of the children, and several other ladies from the community were all going to a funeral. They were waiting by the car waiting for Miss Mary to come down so they could leave and she was taking a very long time. So Shanice went up to see if she was ready and found Miss Mary sitting in the Chair in the living room, unconscious with foam coming out of her mouth. (The EMS system here is not what we are used to in the states and takes at least 45 minutes for an ambulance to arrive, and that's on a good day. Generally it takes closer to 1 1/2-2 hours for them to get there.) So Miss Mary was brought to the hospital in Belmopan, which is about a 1/2 hour away. Once they got to the hospital she did regain consciousness, but, wasn't very responsive to her surroundings. She was then taken by ambulance to Belize City (an hour away) so that she could get a ct scan. Miss Mary had a TIA (mini-stroke) and was bleeding in her brain. She has been transferred to another hospital that is a little more affordable, but this whole ordeal is going to be very expensive. She is now doing much better, she is awake and talking to people. She will be in the ICU for the next 48 hours, then reassess what will be down after that.

Since she and I were in charge, I am all alone with 23 children. But they have been no trouble at all :)

I hope all of my Iowa readers have not been washed away... I keep updated on the flooding from the news here!!! Stay dry!!

2 comments:

Elastagirl said...

We will be praying for you and Miss Mary. How scary!!

Kayla said...

I will definitely be praying for Miss Mary and for you handling 23 kids! It sounds like you have your hands full :) Good luck!