Thursday, July 10, 2008

It's Been a While

Sorry that it has been so long since my last update. The computer at the children's home was infected with over 50 viruses, and Herman fixed it for a few days, and not it's not working again. And I don't have much free time at work since summer school is going on this week. With that being said, today was the last day of summer school and just finished (we let them out early today). Yesterday I corrected 74 English evaluations, let me tell you, it was EXCITING!!! not really, it took me 3 hours. But that's ok, I shouldn't have given up the math evaluation, cause that only took her an hour and a half. This is my last week of working, so really all I have left is tomorrow of work, and I'm not really even sure of what I'll be doing since all the evaluations have been corrected now and summer school is done.

The past few weeks we have been playing a LOT of volleyball at the home. The best night of playing volleyball was when it started raining and then it turned into mud volleyball. The ground was muddy before but then the downpour made it even better. While we were playing, our clothes only had a few mud splatters on them and our legs were covered. Since I am much whiter than all of my children, I appeared to be the dirtiest, when in reality I was probably the cleanest. After we finished the game, we used the hose to clean one another off. Then there was a huge pit of mud (it was way beyond a puddle) in the driveway, (and it smelled like a hog pit) that the boys decided that it would be fun to throw it at each other, then throw one another in it and then wrestle around. Then the girls got in on the fun, and I just stayed back and ran the hose to clean them off. Then my lovely children all got out of the mud and I were standing around waiting to be hosed down... or so I thought. But the next thing I know Moses and Tevin are throwing me into the pit. Then I have about 10 kids in the pit with me everyone is covered. I had mud EVERYWHERE!!! I think the worst was the mouth full of mud... cause all night I was spitting out gravel. But I must admit it was fun :) But now the volleyball games are a little more serious. Last night a bunch of guys from the village came over and we had a serious match going on. The match lasted just under 4 hours!!! It didn't rain yesterday until after we played so then the ground wasn't as nasty, and we didn't slip around so much.

If anyone thought that there was a chance that I would have nicely tanned skin when I come back, I won't. Because it's the rainy season we don't spend a lot of time in the sun, thus, the tan that I had a month ago has faded drastically.

Now, an update on Miss Mary. On Tuesday, we took her to the airport from the hospital so she could go to Tennessee for the surgery. The surgeon in TN offered to do the surgery free of charge and all hospital fees in the US would be free!!! But, she had to fly commercially because an air ambulance would have cost $36000 US, so double that for Belize dollars, and she needed to have the surgery about 2 weeks ago. She made it to TN without any problems and she made it to where she was staying the night before going on to the hospital for surgery in the morning. This is where I do not know exactly what happened or the sequence of events that occurred. She did not have surgery Wednesday morning. At some point in time she had a seizure and a stroke then went into a coma, and passed away this morning.

Please keep everyone here in your prayers as they deal with the loss of this amazing woman. She worked at the children's home for over 30 years, but she is now it a better place.

No comments: